Items of Note

"Sure Jesus could restore my physical and spiritual virginity, especially if I lost it to some rapist, but who wants that? I'm saving myself for marriage, and I'll use force if necessary." -Hilary Faye

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Yes it's true- I'm a nerd.

I went to dinner by myself and took this book along for the ride (please don't feel bad, I love dining alone with a good book!)

It tore my heart out and ripped it to shreds and left it on the floor.

That was just the first chapter.

At the end of said chapter I threw the book to the ground in disgust as I recoiled from what I just read. I then hastily picked it back up and apologized for my actions. I apologized to the book as if it were offended by my actions. I am such a freak.

Sena Jeter Naslund is one of the most descriptive and oddly captivating authors that I have ever encountered. I was smiling and nostalgic one moment, and pained the next.

What a ride!! I shall be obsessed until I read every word, which at this rate will be very soon. It's a good thing I read super fast.

Is it bad that I almost called in sick to work because I want to finish this today? I think it might be.

12 Comments:

At 8:21 AM, Blogger Polly Prissy-Pants said...

I get that way with good books too. Will have to put this on my list...

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Girl With An Alibi said...

Wow. I think that is probably the best book review I've ever read and you didn't tell me a thing about the story. Now I just HAVE to read it. You should copy this post on to the Amazon comments. You'll put it on the best sellers list.

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Girl With An Alibi said...

oops I just noticed it's already a national best seller. Okay so maybe you make it an International Best Seller. :)

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger s! said...

i'm a nerd too.. i talk to the books i read.. often imagining i'm having conversations with the characters.

i think that makes me a kook actually, not a nerd.. *gulp*

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger ago-go said...

i don't love people who aren't nerds. nerds, especially book nerds, are good people. i will have to find that book.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Golightly said...

I tell my friends I'm busy on weekends sometimes, just to finish a book. Nerds unite!!

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Princess Steph said...

*Kisses* to you all fellow reader nerds.

Non readers scare me to be honest with you.

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Princess Steph said...

"The book's last act, involving the murder of four protesters at a sit-in, is violent and shocking and leads to one of the few sermons in contemporary literature that I can recall as vital and moving." Bill Blythe, New York Times
Entire review here

Can you imagine somebody writing this about your book???? It simply gives me chills. I think I'm feeling ill and need to go home early.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger A. Estella Sassypants said...

I had that other book she wrote...thinking thinking...AHAB'S WIFE! Sadly, I sold it back to Half-Price Books unread. I'll keep an eye out for this offering, indeedy.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Lightning Bug's Butt said...

Dining alone with something to read is pure heaven!

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger katarina said...

I also have wanted to call in sick to finish a book. Besides blogging, that's all I do lately.
Did you ever hear the Bill Hicks Schtick about being "a reader"? It's hilarious.

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Princess Steph said...

Kat- I haven't - I'll look it up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

http://sitetracker.com CLASS=ivanL_SI TARGET=_blank>FREE counter and Web statistics from sitetracker.com