Items of Note

"Sure Jesus could restore my physical and spiritual virginity, especially if I lost it to some rapist, but who wants that? I'm saving myself for marriage, and I'll use force if necessary." -Hilary Faye

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

My eyes... stop the burning....

Why is this dress on sale for $297 at Macy's????? WHY?
I mean seriously.

If any of you ladies have this at home THROW IT OUT RIGHT NOW. If you happen to be wearing it meet me at Old Navy and I will buy you jeans and a tank top.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell, it's just so upsetting that somebody thinks this is cute/flattering.

Yes I tried it on just for grins. Truly hideous.

I did purchase the cutest/sexiest shirt in the history of the world, but my poor upbringing is making me sick with guilt over the $68 I shelled out for it. It wasn't even on sale. For the love of God it wasn't even on sale......

I'm gonna take it back, I just know I am.

It is odd how I can stress over a $70 shirt but don't think twice about spending that much on drinks in a night. At least this $70 isn't contributing to my food/beer baby (as a matter of fact it does quite a nice job of hiding it.)

I make a decent (good) living - I am not even going to notice the $70, but there is something inside my head that tells me that it is wrong, that there are people living paycheck to paycheck who could use that $70 to pay the water bill. Much like my parents did during my entire upbringing.

You know I actually like the fact that I am so weird about money - if I ever have kids (heaven forbid) I want them to appreciate it like I do. My sister put herself through college and a private law school and I paid for my education as well- this shaped both of us into the cheap bastards that we are.

Bah. I am definitely going to take it back. Macy's has taken enough of my money.

I have another 'fancy date' tonight with Non-IT Boy so I need to come up with something to do here in the next few hours.

12 Comments:

At 1:14 PM, Blogger a.m. griffin said...

it kinda looks like something my grandmother wore at christmas in the late seventies, can't remember what year... and i'm not kidding.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Stairwell said...

Ugh! And the Katie Holmes look alike makes it that much worse! (Of course, why I'm commenting on this subject I'll never know.)

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger yournamehere said...

Didn't Prince wear that outfit on the "Purple Rain" tour?

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger A. Estella Sassypants said...

Looks like Green Acres gone wrong.

I'm cheap with you. So very cheap. I don't make a good living, but that's not why I'm cheap. I'm cheap because it physically hurts me to spend my own money.

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger nongirlfriend said...

God, that looks like something I might have worn (against my will) in the fourth grade, for fuck's sake!

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

I went shopping the other day but of course all the stores are now stocking Fall wear and the sales racks are full of Crap, so I walked out empty handed. Saw the perfect pair of pants at Express, but I just can't stomach paying $78 for a single item! I was raised with 2 sisters, money was often tight, and I remember having to get 3 or 4 outfits for that price. Oh well, guess I'll always be cheap.

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger The Funky Bee said...

I really do think I owned that dress in elementary school. It wasn't flattering on a six year old and it isn't now!

And the cheap factor - I am the same way. My parents made us earn our own $$ after about 15 and it made us appreciate it more. I bought a little sweater for about $70 and swore to myself that I would wear it ALL the time. It did nothing but make me feel guilty! Why do we feel like it's okay to spend that much (and more!) on a night of drinking tho? I do that ALL the time...oh the clothes I could have by now (and the size I would be if I didn't drink so much)

I guess we deserve to treat ourselves every now and then don't we?

 
At 4:26 AM, Blogger The Sandmonkey said...

LOL

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger AMS said...

that dress looks suspiciously like a duvet cover.

im the same with expensive clothes - i usually clean out my wardrobe every few months and kill myself with guilt if I have spent loads on something and not worn it

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Princess Steph said...

I is very Little House on the Prarie isn't it??

I could find one just like it at a thrift store I dare say, and I could save $296.

Sounds like a plan.

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger katarina said...

I think I have a dust rag in that material.

I do live paycheck to paycheck so I understand the cheap thing. I used to think I was raised that way, but my bro and sis are complete opposites. My sis claimed bankruptcy and my bro lives with my parents. I'm the most money concious person in the bunch.
And I have a fit when I spend $10 on drinks. $70 would never happen.

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Princess Steph said...

i kept it, i am wearing it at work today. i love it. i am covering it with a sweater in a pathetic attempt to be decent.

remember that day i accidently wore the see-thru shirt to work. good times, good times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

http://sitetracker.com CLASS=ivanL_SI TARGET=_blank>FREE counter and Web statistics from sitetracker.com